page contents

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Cast Iron Pan That Nobody Buys

  It was about a year ago when my life started crashing down all around me. My work wasn't going anywhere and even worse, my relationship was struggling too. I knew I had to make a change for the better. Luckily for me, I was in contact with an old friend on Facebook. Even though I haven't seen him in 25 years, he told me to pack my stuff up and move 1700 miles and when I get there I'll have a place to live until I rebuild my life. What a guy!! So this is where the cast iron comes into the story. It turns out that my buddy had recently went through some hard times himself. Not being much of a cook, and after losing a lot of his kitchenwares, he was in need of a few things. He explained to me that he suffers from an allergy he contracted through a tick called Alpha Gal. This means he can no longer eat any red meats. Isn't that about the shittiest thing ever? When my friend eats anything, he has to consider what it was cooked on. No more chicken on the grill at parties if someone was cooking burgers too. Well I decided to get him a pan of his own. I know he loves pancakes so here is the  pan I bought him.


  First of all, I'm a truly impressed the quality and feel of this griddle.It measures 10 1/2 inches across with a 1/2 side. It is perfect for his pancakes and can be used for many other foods. If only I bought a second one for myself, I could see cooking a whole variety of foods for example: eggs, bacon, quesadillas, burgers, grilled cheese, and just about anything you would put into a chemical filled non-stick pan at home. Whatmost people do not realize about cast iron is you can put it in an oven. This pan would work good as a cookie sheet also. I can smell the biscuits cooking away. If you preheat the griddle, try cooking a homemade pizza on it or sear a piece of beef.


  Coming in at just under 5 pounds, it's not a pan you will want to hike all day with. It is perfect for car camping or the home. The griddle comes pre-seasoned and it is made in the USA. Keep in mind that it is not intended for a family of 4. Perfect for one person and a bit crowded with 2 people. The price of about $15 USD will provide you with a griddle that you will have for the rest of your life. Pretty good deal. When your friends see it, they will love it too. Now you know what to get them for a gift.  $15 and it lasts for a lifetime.
Time to get my own griddle.


To find out more about the Lodge 10 1/2 Griddle click on the "Great Plains Recommended" page, then on "On The Cheap But Good"

                      It is easier to survive when your gears survives

No comments :

Post a Comment